I played poker for a living for a short while and I made a lot of my money that way. When I took a break from poker I tried to diversify into other aspects of life, lifelong learning, and I ended up learning Texas Hold’em, which is one of the best possible poker games to make money at that is also very inexpensive to master.
When I first started out playing Texas Hold’em I was wary of this game, as you would expect novice players to be, and I spent a lot of time and effort trying to learn how to play the game properly. Mainly, I focused on perfecting my poker hand and comparing it to the other hands on the table. Needless to say, this strategy never worked. After spending hours and hours perfecting their hands, they would ultimately lose the hand. At that point, I realized that large sums of money can be made by simply learning the hold’em hands and how to exploit other players’ errors, or at least, not make them myself.
Once I started looking at online poker rooms, I was initially wary of playing in rooms with poor payouts. I knew from experience that poor payouts decrease the long term player edge in the poker room. I also knew that people can play at the same rate as others and make the same kind of money. I eventually joined a small poker site that offered a $50 bonus to new players and I spent a little over a month playing mostly NL Hold’em games.
The thing about the online poker rooms is that they all offer you the same games and tournaments. They all give you the same kind of control and the same chance to make the same money as other players by following the basic strategies. The thing about the online poker rooms is that you don’t see the other players. You never see the result of the hand. You never see how much the guy or girl next to you is putting in.You never see the cards that were flipped over by the dealer.So how can you play a better game and how can you give yourself a better chance of walking away with some money? By following these simple tips, you can add an extra element to your game of poker and turn the tide in your favor.
- Play at the right level You was playing at a hot table? It’s time to move down a level. It’s too tempting to keep feeding a machine, and one can never be too greedy, but you need to walk away from a hot table once in a while. You’re not playing for cents, so you want to walk away with some profit. As soon as you walk away, you can always go back and play at a different machine or different table.
- Now that you’re playing at a cold table, you want to play more carefully. Again, you’re playing for pennies, not for quarters. You can’t afford to make mistakes. It’s easy to make a mistake when you’re playing online, but you won’t make that mistake if you’re playing with human opponents.
- This one is important. Never gamble with “dear” money. Only gamble with “remipoker” money. In other words, never gamble with money that you will need now, or may need in the near future, to pay for your financial commitments and everyday living expenses.
- Over time, develop a pattern and play to it. It’s easier to start playing at a new table with a different game than to one that you’re familiar with and a different set of players. Over time, challenge yourself to enter new rooms and develop a pattern. If you’re winning at one level, maybe it’s time to move on.
- Be aware of the number of people at a table When playing at a table, always try to play with a smaller number of players than you usually play with. The more people at the table, the harder it is to win.
- Don’t play at four tables on one computer Though many online players claim they play on multiple tables, the truth is that most people play at just one table or two tables on one computer. Over time, players’ patience and attention span decrease, making multi-table play more and more difficult. Additionally, if you’re a novice, you can’t afford to lose your patience. It’s advantageous to stick to just one table at a time.
- Never check the prize pool. This is the most common mistake among new players. Winners are always announced after the final round of betting. If you don’t see the results of the last round, don’t bet on that game.
- Play in an online casino that offers the games you want to play. If you’re an American, there are many available options in online casinos.